Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 5: Toilet Paper Roll Bat


Today's craft is a bat!  Amazingly enough I came up with this idea all on my own!  I'm sure that someone out there has thought of the same thing, but I swear that I didn't find this idea on Pinterest or any other sight :).

This craft is super easy to make and I had all of the supplies around my house, which is always a bonus!


Supplies:
-Toilet or paper towel roll
-Thin cardboard (we used a cereal box)
-Scissors
-Double-sided tape
-Glue
-Black paint
-Paintbrush
-Googly eyes



Directions:

Step 1:
Cut the roll down to the size that you want.  I cut mine to 3".

Step 2:
Get some double-sided tape and put it inside the roll of the toilet paper near the top (not all of the way to the top because some will be cut-off).  Pinch the sides of the toilet paper roll where the tape is to create a seal at the top.

Step 3:
Cut out some bat ears where the seal is (see below).


Step 4:
Paint the roll black and let dry.


Step 5:
Make some bat wings.  I just winged it!  I took a piece of paper and made one wing and then folded it in half and cut it out and used that as my template.  I then traced it on the cardboard from the cereal box.  I then cut out the bat wings.  After you cut them out paint them black too.  The side of the cardboard that has print doesn't take the paint very well, so I had to use a couple of coatings, but I did like the look of it showing the print through (you'll see below).


Step 6:
Once the paint is dry, glue on some googly eyes.  You could also paint some eyes on if you didn't have some googly eyes on hand.


Step 7:
Use the double-sided tape (or glue) and attach the bat wings to the back of the bat.  You can see here how the shiny part of the cereal box is showing through, but I thought it looked neat.


The bat is done!  You can add a mouth with fangs if you wanted to, but I just wanted to keep it like this.


Now just add a pumpkin to make it look official :)
Happy Halloween!
 Enjoy!

-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment